Saturday, February 04, 2006

Odds and Ends

I hope to begin posting again more regularly soon. We recently completed a meeting of the superiors of our congregation here in Chicago and this has taken all of my time.

Thank you to the readers who have posted questions! I do intend to answer them.

In his book "On the Way to Jesus Christ," Pope Benedict relates an incident where he and Lutheran bishop Hanselmann sat together through a performace of Bach cantatas conducted by Leonard Bernstein. "After the last note of the great Thomas Kantor cantatas triumphantly faded away, we looked at each other spontaneously and just as spontaneously said, 'anyone who has heard this knows that the faith is true.'"

We just concluded singing the solemn tone of the Salve Regina. I feel similarly about this most beautiful piece of chant. Anyone who hears it (or sings it) knows on some level, perhaps not reaching consciousness, that Marian piety is intrinsic to our faith in Jesus Christ, the Truth. The anonymous monk who composed it could not have been mislead by egoism or false doctrine: you can hear that in the music.

Peace to you in Jesus Christ, the great friend of man, our merciful Redeemer.

No comments:

Imprimatur

This blog is published with ecclesiastical approval.


If I, who seem to be your right hand and am called Presbyter and seem to
preach the Word of God, If I do something against the discipline of the Church
and the Rule of the Gospel so that I become a scandal to you, The Church, then
may the whole Church, in unanimous resolve, cut me, its right hand, off, and
throw me away.


Origen of Alexandria
Locations of visitors to this page