Monday, December 17, 2007

St. Benedict in Space

I just found this from Sr. Edith in Duluth (see the second article down called "Peace on Earth").

St. Benedict medals have acquired a surprising popularity of late, perhaps because our Holy Father took the name Benedict. Right now we probably have three or four individuals or groups stop by our monastery each week for blessings of the medals.

Part of the popularity, I suspect, also stems from a resurgence in the belief in the spirit world, both good (angels) and bad (demons) spirits. The approved blessing for Benedictine medals includes an explicit exorcism, and the medals are typically used to ward off bad spirits. It is especially common to see them used at thresholds: doors and windows. Notice in the linked article that it is placed on the window of the space station.

No comments:

Imprimatur

This blog is published with ecclesiastical approval.


If I, who seem to be your right hand and am called Presbyter and seem to
preach the Word of God, If I do something against the discipline of the Church
and the Rule of the Gospel so that I become a scandal to you, The Church, then
may the whole Church, in unanimous resolve, cut me, its right hand, off, and
throw me away.


Origen of Alexandria
Locations of visitors to this page