Sunday, February 11, 2007

Inculturation and Shakespeare

In this quarter's Claremont Review of Books, Paul Cantor gives us an excellent piece on the cultural reception of Shakespeare, especially by cultural dissidents.

In line with the previous posts on Christianity and rebellion against false cultural norms, I believe this essay provides an intriguing way of framing the problem for the reception, not of Shakespeare, but of Christianity into the postmodern culture of the West.

Our monastery will be on retreat this week. As I have done when travelling, I have prepared a series of posts for each day. I ask you to pray for me and for our community, as well as for our retreat master, Abbot Leo Ryska, OSB.

God's blessings to you!

No comments:

Imprimatur

This blog is published with ecclesiastical approval.


If I, who seem to be your right hand and am called Presbyter and seem to
preach the Word of God, If I do something against the discipline of the Church
and the Rule of the Gospel so that I become a scandal to you, The Church, then
may the whole Church, in unanimous resolve, cut me, its right hand, off, and
throw me away.


Origen of Alexandria
Locations of visitors to this page