Monday, January 01, 2007

Ringing in the new

In the interests of having a 'well-ordered spiritual life' (in the wonderful words of Pope Paul VI), it is good to plan ahead for the day, the week, the year. In this spirit, I will share with you some of my resolutions for the year. These are offered all in the spirit of "God willing!" [James 4: 15]

1) I intend to regularize my reading of the Fathers. In particular, I hope to read one Conference of Cassian per week and mosey through the whole of the Enarrationes in Psalmos (Psalm Commentaries) of St. Augustine, recently translated by Sr. Maria Boulding, OSB.

2) I hope to streamline the contents of this blog to make it more topical for the sort of readers that seem drawn to it. Patristic spirituality, ecumenism and the day-to-day living of the Rule seem to draw the most comments, for example.

3) I hope to celebrate the particular graces of our community more this coming year, in preparation for a project to build the new wing of our monastery. Our identity has shifted some in the past ten years, and I would like to recapture some of the energy of the original vision of contemplation in the city and better integrate it (first in my own mind and practice!) with the gift of the Benedictine charism that we have lived since 1997.

4) Of course, all of these goals are intended to be in service of the call to holiness in my own life and the lives of my brothers in community, our oblates, friends and benefactors. So a final, encompassing resolution is to undertake these tasks for the glory of God and the edification of the Church.

What is God asking of you Anno Domini 2007?

No comments:

Imprimatur

This blog is published with ecclesiastical approval.


If I, who seem to be your right hand and am called Presbyter and seem to
preach the Word of God, If I do something against the discipline of the Church
and the Rule of the Gospel so that I become a scandal to you, The Church, then
may the whole Church, in unanimous resolve, cut me, its right hand, off, and
throw me away.


Origen of Alexandria
Locations of visitors to this page