Monday, September 04, 2006

Benedictines separated by ten centuries, united in faith

You scored as Anselm. Anselm is the outstanding theologian of the medieval period.He sees man's primary problem as having failed to render unto God what we owe him, so God becomes man in Christ and gives God what he is due. You should read 'Cur Deus Homo?'

Anselm

73%

John Calvin

67%

Karl Barth

67%

J?Moltmann

60%

Augustine

60%

Friedrich Schleiermacher

60%

Martin Luther

40%

Jonathan Edwards

33%

Charles Finney

33%

Paul Tillich

27%

Which theologian are you?
created with QuizFarm.com

Given the options, I shouldn't be too surprised that my theological confrere is (St.) Anselm. Calvin over Augustine? and Moltmann? I suspect that this is true for Luther's Augustine and not, say, Aquinas' or Rahner's. Were these two or von Balthasar included, I suspect Tillich and Finney wouldn't even rank.

For the record: while I like Anselm, I've never been a big fan of his formulation about mankind as infinite debtor in need of an infinitely precious ransom. The argument is logically coherent and consistent, but not personally encouraging. Cur Deus homo? God created us for Himself and He desired to become one with us so that we can become one with Him.

Some might wish to debate whether St. Anselm was "the outstanding theologian of the medieval period." After all, he was not honored with the title 'the Cherubic Doctor' nor 'the Seraphic Doctor'.

Thanks to Jacob Paul Breeze for this link...

No comments:

Imprimatur

This blog is published with ecclesiastical approval.


If I, who seem to be your right hand and am called Presbyter and seem to
preach the Word of God, If I do something against the discipline of the Church
and the Rule of the Gospel so that I become a scandal to you, The Church, then
may the whole Church, in unanimous resolve, cut me, its right hand, off, and
throw me away.


Origen of Alexandria
Locations of visitors to this page