Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Note on St. Ignatius

I discerned with the Jesuits for awhile, until one of them told me that I should try being a monk instead. I've retained a great admiration for St. Ignatius and his method of the discernment of spirits. I also admire him because he was a romantic and a soldier, both character types that I find appealing and helpful in a vibrant discipleship of Jesus Christ.

Yesterday, we had what we call at the monastery a Dies non, a 'non-day' as it were. There is no public schedule except for Mass. Monks are expected to pray the hours on their own. But it gives an opportunity for more rest and solitude than we normally get, especially during the summer.

I took the opportunity to chant the office in Latin. In doing so, I stumbled upon another example of the possible de-muscularization of Christianity, as well as another example of a favorite topic of mine, the problematic translations of the Mass collects. Without further comments, I will give you my translation of an excerpt from the Latin, and then give you the current Sacramenary:

Latin: O God, to spread the greater glory of your name, through blessed Ignatius You strengthened the Church militant with a new army (division). Grant that by his help and example we might do battle on earth so as to merit being crowned with him in heaven.

Sacramentary: Father, you gave St. Ignatius to your Church to bring greater glory to your name. May we follow his example on earth and share in the crown of life in heaven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's quite a contrast! But do you think that the Jesuits even consider themselves an "army" anymore?

I recently read that the American bishops are divided over the "new" (as in more faithful to the Latin original) translation. If they can't get their act together, how do they expect us (the rank & file) to manage?

Imprimatur

This blog is published with ecclesiastical approval.


If I, who seem to be your right hand and am called Presbyter and seem to
preach the Word of God, If I do something against the discipline of the Church
and the Rule of the Gospel so that I become a scandal to you, The Church, then
may the whole Church, in unanimous resolve, cut me, its right hand, off, and
throw me away.


Origen of Alexandria
Locations of visitors to this page