Friday, May 26, 2006

"The Lord is at my side; I do not fear. What can adam do to me?"
--Ps. 118: 6

The Hebrew word 'adam, as many of you undoubtedly know, is simply the word for 'man', as well as being the word for 'ground'. At many points, the Grail Psalter translates adam as 'mortal man'--a felicitous rendering I think. In many of these places, the contrast is between adam who is an enemy of the Psalmist, but is also ultimately ineffectual, with God, who takes the side of the Psalmist and who has ultimate power. Meditating over this contrast, particularly as it is found in the verse quoted above, I wondered if it were behind this striking saying of St. Paul:

"For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive...For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death."
--1 Cor. 15: 22, 25-26

Peace to you! Be sure to read Dom Brendan's Ascension Day homily.

No comments:

Imprimatur

This blog is published with ecclesiastical approval.


If I, who seem to be your right hand and am called Presbyter and seem to
preach the Word of God, If I do something against the discipline of the Church
and the Rule of the Gospel so that I become a scandal to you, The Church, then
may the whole Church, in unanimous resolve, cut me, its right hand, off, and
throw me away.


Origen of Alexandria
Locations of visitors to this page