Friday, March 31, 2006

Intercessory Prayer

Every so often, I spend some time checking up on people for whom we are praying. Today, we received good news about a husband and wife who were both diagnosed with cancer but have since received a clean bill of health. Blessed be God.

Reading prayer requests and making intercession for others has some things in common with being a confessor: you spend a lot of time with people's weaknesses and sufferings. This is a great grace in so many ways, not because we are happy that there is suffering, but that in the midst of suffering is a merciful God who wills to share it with us, to carry it with us and finally to free us from our sin and suffering.

Were I to venture a guess, the most common prayer requests are for health (especially for those with cancer), for a return to the faith of a loved one, for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan (often accompanied by a prayer for the civilian populations there), and for couples who are struggling to have children.

Please pray for me and for the Monastery! I will remember each of the readers in my own prayers. God's blessings to you.

No comments:

Imprimatur

This blog is published with ecclesiastical approval.


If I, who seem to be your right hand and am called Presbyter and seem to
preach the Word of God, If I do something against the discipline of the Church
and the Rule of the Gospel so that I become a scandal to you, The Church, then
may the whole Church, in unanimous resolve, cut me, its right hand, off, and
throw me away.


Origen of Alexandria
Locations of visitors to this page