Monday, January 09, 2006

Praying Twice

Yesterday, we programmed a closing hymn for the Mass of the Epiphany. This is unusual for us: the Mass is supposed to end when the Deacon says, "The Mass is ended!" Since we so seldom get to sing Christmas music, however, we began "The First Noel" as the monks processed from the choir and out of the church. I had written all of the verses in the liturgy handout, though, and to our amazement, while the whole community stood outside waiting to greet those departing, the congregation continued to sing! We joked that a priest would have to go back in and announce that the Mass really was over! What a joy to have the problem of a congregation that sings too much!

No comments:

Imprimatur

This blog is published with ecclesiastical approval.


If I, who seem to be your right hand and am called Presbyter and seem to
preach the Word of God, If I do something against the discipline of the Church
and the Rule of the Gospel so that I become a scandal to you, The Church, then
may the whole Church, in unanimous resolve, cut me, its right hand, off, and
throw me away.


Origen of Alexandria
Locations of visitors to this page