Friday, September 23, 2005

Ezekiel and Karma

At our office of Vigils in the morning, we follow the readings of the Roman Breviary. Each year, during the 24th and 25th weeks of Ordinary Time, we read from Ezekiel.

Some words from Holy Scripture struck me in particular during these two weeks.

"'Fathers have eaten green grapes, thus their teeth are on edge.'
As I live, says the Lord God: I swear that there shall no longer be anyone among you who will repeat this proverb in Israel."

What strikes me at first glance is that the proverb written down in sixth-century Judah is manifestly true. We are all familiar with the fact that children pay for their parents' sins. This is a natural feature of life in this world, a law very similar to the idea of karma, except perhaps not as fair.

What God promises, to rid of us the unfair effects of others' sins and to hold us accountable for our own, is evidence of a new creation, a recreation in which the laws of this cosmos no longer bind us.

Can we live this reality now? Yes, we can, to the extent that we live in Christ. This means taking seriously the requirement of Jesus Christ to forgive, to trust, to live a Eucharistic life of thanksgiving in all circumstances. Then no one else's wrongdoing to can do anything to separate us from the love of Christ (Romans 8).

Peace to you in Jesus Christ, whom I love and serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, just what has been coming to me in prayer lately - joy in all things. Recently heard a preacher on the radio distinguish between happiness and joy. Happiness depends on events, while joy depends on the Lord.

Keep up the good work!

Imprimatur

This blog is published with ecclesiastical approval.


If I, who seem to be your right hand and am called Presbyter and seem to
preach the Word of God, If I do something against the discipline of the Church
and the Rule of the Gospel so that I become a scandal to you, The Church, then
may the whole Church, in unanimous resolve, cut me, its right hand, off, and
throw me away.


Origen of Alexandria
Locations of visitors to this page